Sunday, May 14, 2017
March + April Update
Whatever the case, Mira's desire to creep out of her seat is how we all felt, trying to just get out of March. With no spring break plans and everyone getting stir crazy from the tail end of winter, I think we all needed a change of scenery. There wasn't anything particularly eventful about March, it just crept by at a snail's pace, simply because we didn't have a travel agenda for spring break, so there was nothing to gear up for, nothing to pack for, and nothing to really look forward to, except for well, April and warmer weather. Mira does not travel well and the boys were not interested in really going anywhere, so we decided to have a low-key spring break, which meant trying to occupy the time without going insane being at home.
We managed to get through March, but it seemed as soon as April hit, everything shifted into high gear. I had to do a ton of traveling, mainly to Virginia and Massachusetts, which was difficult on Sarah. Adding to that, I don't think the kids had a full week of school in March or April. The slouching led to full-on fidgeting, and nearly ending up on the floor. I managed to juggle my work schedule around Mira's appointments, having to take some time off to go to some of them - ultimately it gave Sarah a much needed break from trying to do 12 things at once, while I was out of town for a majority of the month.
One of those appointments, in the middle of April, involved Mira getting an ERG, which is an electroretinogram, ordered by her ophthalmologist at her last appointment. The reason for the test was two-fold: first, Mira's vision is extremely poor, thus it was a precautionary measure to see if there are deeper underlying issues with the structural integrity of her eyes and second, because of Mira's very high myopia, her heterozygous mutation of TPP1 (and possible connection to NCL) the rationale was that an ERG may also reveal any clues to her having some NCL-like symptoms that might surface from the test.
Our second appointment was just this past week, with endocrinology. We had a discussion at our last appointment with her endocrinologist, which was about 6 months ago, about stopping Mira's Lupron injections. We collectively decided to go ahead and stop them now, as Mira is almost 12 years old, which is more of an appropriate age for her to start puberty. The rationale for starting the Lupron injections in the first place, was to delay the onset of puberty, which Mira was showing signs of, at age 7 or 8, which is extremely early. We don't know why her endocrine and hormones are so out of whack - just another side effect of having a catastrophic epilepsy I suppose. We think it is the right decision to go ahead and let things run their course finally, although we have some trepidation as to what we should expect once her last injection begins to lose its efficacy. I have read and heard that some kids have a significant spike in seizures, with all of the hormonal shifts that tend to happen in puberty. Only time will tell.