Sunday, March 8, 2015

Weekend Hospital Visits

Mira continued her trend of having daily tonic-clonic seizures yesterday. She had been consistently having at least one TC every day for the past 3 or 4 days, but it seems as though it has been going on much longer. I always think her seizures have been slowly increasing over the past few years, but it could just be my imagination. It difficult to gauge.

Saturday was a long day. I took Mira in to get blood draws and a urine sample for a series of tests that neurology had ordered about a week ago. Going into the lab on the weekends is always an adventure and fortunately, we have only had to do it twice over the past 9+ years. After yesterday's experience, I remember why we try to avoid the weekends whenever possible - this week was crazy busy, so we didn't have much of a choice.

Because the regular lab doesn't hold weekend hours, we were sent up to the main lab in a different part of the hospital to get the samples done. The reception 'area' for the main lab was probably never intended to accommodate more than 2-3 people at a time, because it is about the size of a walk-in closet, which makes it difficult to maneuver Mira's chair around. Ironically, the adjacent room, where they actually do the blood draws, is even smaller. Needless to say, with Mira, myself, and 2 nurses in this tiny room, it was extremely tight. A third nurse tried to come in, but literally could not even get into the room with Mira on the exam table.

Mira did great for the first two vials, but she suddenly jerked during the third one and the needle turned in her arm. It had to be extremely painful for her as she started wailing - fortunately the nurse saw it immediately and stopped half-way through the third vial. Poor Mira was really upset for a good 10 minutes afterward. Her catheter to get a urine sample went much more smoothly and Mira even was laughing through it, despite having to wait another 20 minutes to get a different nurse. While the staff is always great and professional, the entire process of getting a simple blood draw and urine sample took over an hour and that was with no one waiting in front of us. The lesson is, never go on the weekend unless you are prepared to wait.

Anyway, Mira was extremely irritable this afternoon for some reason. She had a really rough time from about 4:00-5:30pm, where nothing would make her happy. She finally came around before dinner and was happy and engaged the rest of the evening. We were able to get outside yesterday and today to get Mira in the swing, which she thoroughly enjoyed and this time, without vomiting.

No comments: